Monday, March 28, 2016

My Favorite Home Decorating Tips




Blogland and Pinterest are an amazing resource for decorating ideas and lessons in interior decorating. Every day, with a cup of coffee in hand, I spend some leisure time browsing through my favorite home decor blogs  and pins for the latest in decorating trends, colors, styles, and fresh new ideas.

Sometimes, there's so much eye candy out there it can become overwhelming. So many ideas.....so many tips and tricks....so I've tried to narrow down all that inspirational goodness into a neat package of simple design inspiration. My version of Decorating: 101.

 I've learned some very basic principles from people who are very talented and have shared their expertise on their beautiful websites. Here are favorite decorating tips that apply to any style of home that you have -- traditional, coastal, farmhouse, modern/contemporary, shabby chic, etc....  Everything works! And I've used every one of them.

Enjoy the inspiration!


l. Lessons in Layering - Learning how to layer a room with color, texture, and shapes adds interest and warmth. Yvonne at Stone Gable teaches you it's as easy as 1-2-3.







2. Accessorizing Your Home - There's an art to selecting and displaying just the right touches in a home. Kristy at Starfish Cottage shows you how.





3.  Coffee Table Styling - A few simple tips will make styling a coffee table fun and easy.






4. Light and Bright -  Learning how to choose the right lighting for a room will keep your home light and bright.






5. Creating a Beautiful Bedroom - A bedroom is a place of sanctuary and rest. These beautiful bedrooms will inspire you to make your bedroom inviting and luxurious.








6. Styling a Kitchen -  The kitchen is the heart of the home and should be styled with that in mind. Organized, functional, and a place the whole family enjoys together. Again, Stone Gable has some fabulous ideas for a gorgeous and organized kitchen.





7. Styling Empty Spaces Above Cabinets -  What to do with all that empty space above the kitchen cabinets? These are great style ideas without making the space look cluttered.


Decorating Files


8. The Dreaded Blank Wall - Here are 10 ideas to take an empty wall and make it into a beautiful and functional space.


Ballard Design: How to Decorate


9.  Pillow Styling - I have to admit, pillows make me happy! Here are a few quick tips for arranging pillows on the sofa.


House Beautiful


10. Creating Beautiful Tablescapes - For a complete resource of seasonal, themed, and holiday table decor and entertaining, two places are my go-to websites: Between Naps on the Porch, and The Painted Apron. Check out the colorful and creative ways to add style to your table.




Between Naps on the Porch



For all things party decor and entertaining related, check out the delightful recipes, party ideas, table decor, and all-around fun at The Painted Apron.






Whew! That was a LOT of decorating ideas --  I hope you picked up some tips and were inspired to fluff up some pillows and create a coffee table vignette. Happy Decorating!

8 comments:

  1. hi Joanne, boy was I surprised to see the Painted Apron on your exclusive list! Thank you, I am very flattered! I can't wait to pay a visit to a couple of blogs in this group I'm not familiar with. Spring is in the air and redecorating seems to go hand and hand with spring cleaning... I'm on the hunt for some beachy drapes, I think I'll look at Ballard, thanks!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Love your blog -- check it all the time! I love Ballard -- such beautiful things! Don't forget Overstock.com -- they have a great selection of drapes and you can't beat the prices.

      Delete
  2. This is a great post. There are a lot of good ideas and inspiration in blog land!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Liz, blog land is very inspiring -- sometimes I feel like I have too many ideas swimming in my head! ha!

      Delete
  3. I am not sure I could do all that! Seems like a chore!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for sharing these professional home decorating tips. I am impressed to know these tips. Will be hosting a DIY party on my 17th birthday at one of local party venues. Currently looking for great decoration ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great decorating tips! Thanks for sharing, and for gathering the beautiful examples to go with them! Hope you are doing well! :) ~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very happy to read such a wonderful blog which gives the helpful information. thanks for sharing. 

    ReplyDelete