Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Mixing & Matching Pillows - Tropical Style

Today I'm going to spotlight one of our favorite rooms in Sea Glass Cottage.....the family den.

I love this room as it seems to be the gathering place for the whole family to spread out, watch movies, make puzzles, read, or just take a nap. It is located at the back of the house and overlooks the golf course.

Since I have an all white master bedroom, a white on white kitchen, a neutral toned dining area, and a white sitting room, I've got my love of white covered!

This is the one room where I'm going to branch out and have fun experimenting with brighter coastal colors and textures.

Here's my basic seating arrangement without any pillows -- it is a Pottery Barn slipcovered sectional sofa with a chaise lounge. I love it as I can mix and match and play with all the colors and textures in my rapidly growing pillow collection.







Now let me tell you, this sofa is very loved.  People curl up and put their feet on the sofa, the dog jumps up before I have time to put down a throw, and spills have happened. It's real life, imperfect, and that's just fine with me. Slipcovers can be washed and pillows can hide imperfections.

Let's have some fun playing with pillow combinations:

I have found that my favorite pillow combination is "Texture + Print + Solid." 

A few pillows need some texture such as burlap, jute, buttons, or trim. Next, I throw in one or two coordinating or complimentary prints, and finish off the grouping with a few neutrals or solids that pull colors from the prints.

l. Neutrals




I adore neutrals, creams, and textured pillows and am very happy with a bunch of neutrals thrown on the sofa.





As long as there is a solid + print + texture, I have a great combination that is very pleasing to my eye.

I can easily enhance this neutral tone by adding in a few pillows with color:





2. The colors of sea glass and sea 

This next pillow palette is a sea glass inspiration (of course!).  Soft blues and greens blended with the neutrals of the sand and sea oats is a beautiful and soothing combination.






Solid + texture + print for the win!





This palette is very soft and soothing, but it's missing the pop I like that texture and an added print would bring.





Much better!






I can keep the palette very soft with just the soothing blues, greens, and greys, or pull out a bolder color with an accent pillow:







3. Tropical colors

The next pillow palette is very fun and inspired by the colors of these gorgeous tropical Hawaiian lilies. Bold greens and oranges are softened with whites and creams.










4. And just for fun.........It's five o'clock somewhere!




Think lemons, limes, oranges,  berries, pineapples, and a little rum.











I hope you enjoyed playing along with me as I mixed and matched pillows -- now it's time to go out and have some beach time!





Sharing this post with: Sand and Sisal: Inspire Me Monday
                                     Between Naps on the Porch: Metamorphosis Monday
                                     Savvy Southern Style: Wow us Wednesday

6 comments:

  1. I am a pillow-aholic Joanne, I just bought some red white and blue ones so I can change it up for the summer patriotic holidays. I have an off white couch and love seat too, it makes for a great artist's palette and a ton of pillow fun!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pillows are my addiction, too -- can't pass up a sale!

      Delete
  2. Those are all lovely combinations and you do indeed have a lot of pillows. I can think of a few other blog friends with the same pillow love. We love white slipcovers for the same reasons. I would love to own a PB sectional one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth -- I do have a thing for pillows! I love how you can totally change the look of the room with just a quick switch of color. I change my mind and mood often! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  3. I totally love all of the pillow designs that you shared! It's amazing how they can change the ambiance of the place by simply changing their colors and designs. This is a great idea to those who are planning to have some new pillows for their living rooms. Thank you very much for sharing this with us, Joanne! :)

    Melissa Robinson @ Pillow Perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Melissa! I appreciate your comments.

      Delete