Sunday, September 20, 2015

Decorating with......Beautiful Bottles & Demijohns







Question: What is one decor item that looks beautiful in many style homes -- modern, traditional, french country, farmhouse, coastal, rustic, and shabby chic?

Answer: Beautiful bottles and demijohns! (Demijohns are large bottles encased in wicker).

Regardless of your decorating style(s), bottles and demijohns bring color and texture to the home and can be used in so many creative ways.

Since we are transitioning into the fall season, I've put away some of my bowls of seashells and coastal pillows to bring in some warmer tones for fall. Sea Glass Cottage is our home away from home, so I'm keeping things low key-- just a few earth-toned pillows in the den and a demijohn vignette on the coffee table.






Since I'm keeping things very simple here, I've turned to a few of my favorite home decor blogs for more inspiring ideas, and I'm happy to share with you some stunning ways these creative bloggers have used demijohns in their homes.

Fabulous Kim from Savvy Southern Style has a gorgeous home with a mix of comfortable vintage and french country style.  I love the way she used these beautiful bottles to add height and style to a bathroom hutch.


                                                                           (source*)

Kim also uses demijohns as lamps, both the glass bottle and wrapped in wicker. Do yourself a favor and go do a search for "demijohn" at her blog. You will be in heaven as she is a collector and uses demijohns extensively in her design style -- she'll even show you how to make an inexpensive and fabulous demijohn lamp!


                                                                        
                                                                           (source*)


Next, we move to the rustic beauty of Kathleen's gorgeous home at Faded Charm. She features a demijohn in her entrance hall ~ don't you just feel a warm welcome into her home with the charming and vintage styling in her entrance hall?


                                                                             (source*)

                                                               

Wonderful Jenna at The Painted Apron is an extraordinary artist, entertainer, and designer who sets the most creative tables for her parties! Her blog is a gold mine of themed parties, decorating, and out-of-this-world recipes. Just look at this beautiful tablescape she created with elegant wine bottles and a large demijohn as the centerpiece.



                                                                      (source*)

Here are some other ideas I've gathered from home decor blogs:

                              ~use as a vase with seasonal flowers
                              ~group on the hearth by the fireplace
                              ~on bookcases (on top and on shelves)
                              ~on top of hutches and kitchen cabinets
                              ~in a large basket or tray
                              ~as lighting pendants
                              ~on the porch
                              ~lined up a staircase
                              ~add battery operated white lights inside
                              ~on a mantel

And check out my demijohn pinterest board to see other great ideas for using this versatile decorating item.  I think I just might start a new collection!


(**Thank you to Savvy Southern Style, Faded Charm, and The Painted Apron for permission to use their photos.**)


Sharing this post at:

Starfish Cottage: Your Inspired Design

10 comments:

  1. Love the demijohns! You are so right, they are versatile and go with many different decor styles! The shorter one is so unique! ~Hope you had a great weekend! Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never come across a demijohn wrapped in wicker but if I do I'm grabbing it! I like your tray with the demijohns. They do look like a great accent for many styles of decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feature. You have some nice ones there yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never realized these jars were called demijohns. I have 2 antique ones from my Grandmother's house that I display with some shells and other items in our entrance hallway. I would add a photo to share with you, but I don't think that is possible here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Joanne! I am very flattered to be included in your wonderful collection of demi-johns! I am always drooling over Kim's, and yours are just perfect for fall at Sea Glass Cottage~ beautiful!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your demijohns are so pretty! I'm quite addicted to them and have a few myself! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Demijohns are wonderful and you are so right they blend with so many different decor choices. Love your collection very pretty.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim's blog is one of the first I read and it was the first place I remember seeing a demijohn. She has such great style as does Kathleen of Faded Charm.

    Thanks for the sweet comment on my latest post. It would be great if you could drop by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love demijohns too! The texture and the different shapes are great anywhere.

    Thanks for linking up to Your Inspired Design!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been searching for some of these. They can be pricey, but I'm beginning to not care what they cost. Buy all the demijohns!!! Thanks for linking at Your Inspired Design :)

    ReplyDelete