I close my eyes and feel cool, crisp air......I smell woodsmoke and spices....I see glorious rich colors of amber and golds.....the sunlight is golden and mellow.....I feel the soft textures of fuzzy sweaters and cozy blankets...I crave apples and pumpkins and all of nature's bounty.
I celebrate fall! So in honor of this very special special day, the first day of fall, I'm sharing a few of my favorite autumn things.
Make the House Smell Like Fall
- One of the first things I do to celebrate autumn, besides pulling out pillows and decor, is to stock up on fresh candles. I love Yankee candles, and add fresh scents with every season. I always have a candle burning in my kitchen when I cook, and in the evening when we are settled in the den to read or watch television, I enjoy the ambiance of a candle on the coffee table.
- If you don't use candles but still like the house to smell like fall, a simmer pot is perfect for a cool, cozy evening. I fill a pot with a few cups of water and add orange peels, apple peels, lemon peels, whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, a few drops of vanilla extract, pumpkin spice, nutmeg, and whatever else I might have on hand. (Herbs such as bay leaf, rosemary, and lavender are good, too!) Simmer on low, making sure the water does not completely evaporate.
Make Homemade Flavored Coffee
- I love flavored coffee, and pumpkin spiced coffee and lattes come out seasonally, but they can get expensive! I make my own simple version of flavored coffee with the regular blend I have at home.
You can make either instant coffee or fresh brewed coffee flavored by adding a few dashes of two items you probably have in your spice cabinet: ground cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. You can experiment with amounts to see how strong you want the flavors. If I am making a cup of instant coffee, for example, I add a heaping spoon of instant coffee, about three dashes of cinnamon, and a dash or two of pumpkin spice, and add hot water. For a full pot of fresh brewed coffee, add coffee grounds, about a teaspoon each of cinnamon and pumpkin spice, (more if you want stronger flavor) gently stir to mix, and brew as usual.
Make Homemade Bath Products
- Now that I've got the house smelling spicy delicious and my cup of pumpkin spiced coffee is steamy hot, I'm ready to look up some fun fall DIY recipes. Here are two projects I found on my DIY Body Products pinterest board that I am ready to make for a luxurious spa bath experience:
- This easy and delicious smelling soap recipe for a relaxing fall evening bath is found on Happiness is Homemade.
Vanilla Pumpkin Body Scrub:
- You can find the easy recipe for this divine body sugar scrub also at Happiness is Homemade.
Here's to a wonderful fall filled with all good things, the beautiful bounty of nature, and a season of gratitude and thankfulness for all our blessings!