Saturday, July 18, 2015

Boy's Bedroom Makeover - Vintage Nautical Style Part 1

One of my favorite design styles in our beach cottage was this children's bedroom to the right of the entrance hall.

It was furnished with darling toddler bunk beds decorated in a nautical theme which continued into the en-suite bathroom.

Unfortunately, the toddler beds would never work for my still-growing teenage son (over six feet tall) and adult guests. The sellers agreed to take the bunk beds when they moved, so I'm pleased that they will continue to be used.

BEFORE:




Keeping with the nautical theme, here is my son's room after the makeover (which can also be used as a guest room in a pinch).


AFTER:










The main color inspiration for the room were the Tommy Bahama pillows. (I literally found these awesome Tommy Bahama pillows in a hall closet in the cottage. Such treasures are found all throughout the house packed away!) I pulled these colors from the existing pillows to add accents and fabrics to the bedroom.





I chose a tea-stained color for the bedding and accented the room with navy curtains and red striped accent pillows. A comfy red chair is perfect for reading and watching tv.

I loved that I was able to keep the nautical look while updating the room to make it comfortable for adults -- and my son can actually FIT in the bed!  ;)



My next post will highlight all the vintage nautical details around the bedroom and bathroom.

I hope you enjoyed this before and after boy's bedroom makeover! You can read Part 2 (decor details) here.



Sharing this post at The Dedicated House: Before & After Wednesday;
                                My Romantic Home: Show & Tell Friday

4 comments:

  1. The original bedroom was really nice, and you've captured the same cheery nautical feel with your makeover - plus it's great that your son can actually fit into the bed! Love the buoys hanging from the hooks along the ceiling - cool idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the children's bunk beds were really cute and I hated to see them go, but I'm very happy with the change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanne! The Weekly Feature Series is live, where you are one of the features. Here's the link so you can check it out. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/08/weekly-feature-series.html Have a wonderful Sunday! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Kathryn! Honored!

    ReplyDelete