Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Personalizing Your Home

Does your home have a name?

Or is there a motif (design or decorative element) or personal style that is uniquely your own that is represented in your home?

Here in New Orleans, for instance, the fleur de lis is an often-used motif in decorating, fashion, and jewelry.

For my beach house in Gulf Shores, I have chosen beautiful sea glass to be not only the name, but our motif. Throughout our cottage, I have tried to incorporate the colors and textures of sea glass to personalize the beach house.

I am so happy that our family members and friends like our home's name so much, that they automatically associate sea glass with us. We have been fortunate to receive very thoughtful housewarming gifts from friends to help us celebrate this new chapter in our lives, and naturally many of them involve sea glass or the name Sea Glass Cottage.


One of the first gifts we received for Sea Glass was this cute home plaque from our real estate agent.  I have it in the entrance hall to welcome guests when they first enter.




A group of dear friends surprised me with these personalized items for the kitchen -- pretty kitchen towels and tumblers imprinted with Sea Glass Cottage.





Another friend gifted us with these beautiful personalized bath towels!



All of the homes in my beach community have names and often have a plaque outside to show their name. I worked with an artist in Alabama (who has an etsy shop) to design a metal plaque for Sea Glass Cottage that could withstand the harsh salt water and sun damage. She came up with this design to place near our address on the front porch.



And last, but not least, who knew that there was actually Sea Glass wine? I sure was surprised when I received several bottles of Sea Glass wine!






It's fun incorporating my house name and sea glass motif into my home decor.

Do you have an element or design motif in your home that is uniquely you?


Sharing this Post at:  Sand and Sisal: Inspire Me Monday
                                  Coastal Charm: Show and Share
                                  Southern Savvy Style: Wow us Wednesday
                                  Katherine's Corner: Favorite Things Thursday

8 comments:

  1. Sea Glass Cottage is such a wonderful name Joanne! Our house is called Club Meon [sort of a take off of Club Med] and I'm not sure how that came about, we've just always called it that! I love your sea glass sign in your entry, sweet realtor! So nice to have your own signature wine too!!
    Jeena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna! Club Meon does remind you of Club Med, the ultimate in retreats!

      Delete
  2. You chose a wonderful name! We've been on our farm over 8 years and still haven't settled on a name. Everything my husband likes, I don't like, and vice-versa. Some day, maybe we'll hit upon one we both like. You have some very sweet friends, and they blessed you with some great gifts! Blessings~
    Kim @ Curtain Queen Creates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim! Oh, I think it would be so much fun to think of a name for a farm ~ how lovely! So glad you stopped by for a visit.

      Delete
  3. I like the name and how great to have all the personalized things around your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by Sea Glass today! I love all your furniture makeovers.

      Delete
  4. I think Sea Glass Cottage is beautiful and incorporating sea glass throughout your home is just gorgeous. You have such a lovely sense of style! My home is a series of different motifs. I have a formal parlor and dining room that are both very traditional, but everything else downstairs is done using coastal touches. Upstairs, each room has its own design style based on our travels and interests. Sadly, my home is nameless. :)

    I've just seen that you have Across the Blvd listed as one of your favorite design blogs. Thank you so much for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Beverly. I have been following your Charleston room makeover, and I love that you have rooms based on travels! Charleston is one of those places on my bucket list -- love the history and architecture.

      Delete