Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Tobacco Baskets - Part 2

Welcome, Spring!

We spent a little time down at our beach house recently, and while the weather was pretty it was an unusually chilly week for the first days of spring. It was too cold for my taste to venture out on the beach, so I enjoyed the fresh air by opening up and the doors and windows and getting a few simple projects done inside.

Last week, I wrote about my love of tobacco baskets and some simple ways to use them in home decor. I bought two smaller versions to use in the beach house.



I'm freshening up the look of the den (which is the family hangout) with a tropical look for the spring.....fresh greens, burlap, jute, baskets, botanicals, and lots of neutrals. The small tobacco basket is perfect for a few magazines and a small plant for a touch of spring green.






I've also posted about my vintage post card collection.....the tobacco basket reminded me of a bulletin board, and I thought it would work well as a way to display a few of my favorite post cards.





It was easy to just slip the cards underneath the slats without damaging them.



Hope you are having a wonderful spring, and thanks for stopping by Sea Glass Cottage!



Sharing this post at:



Coastal Charm: Show and Share (featured!)
Starfish Cottage: Your Inspired Design (featured!)
21 Rosemary Lane: Share Your Style
Across The Blvd.: Snickerdoodle Sunday

13 comments:

  1. Love the old tobacco baskets. Cute idea with the cards slipped into the staves. Blessings and Happy Easter- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a blessed Easter to you and yours, Diana!

      Delete
  2. What a cute idea with the post cards! I like the smaller version of these- easier to adapt to some decorating uses. The one on the coffee table looks perfect with the magazines and plant.
    Have a nice Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! You're right -- the replicas are much smaller and more manageable. Happy Easter to you and yours.

      Delete
  3. I love all your uses of the tobacco baskets, and how fun to use it as a bulletin board for your vintage cards, very clever!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tobacco baskets too! This one is such a great size. Love how you are using yours. Thanks for sharing at Your Inspired Design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love tobacco baskets! Thanks for sharing on Your Inspired Design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love tobacco baskets! Thanks for sharing on Your Inspired Design!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joanne, first visit. Love your tobacco baskets with their decorations.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a super cute idea... displaying the vintage postcards in the tobacco basket! When I had my vintage vendor booths, tobacco baskets were a hot commodity! Sold very well! ~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the smaller replicas, but I'd love to get my hands on an old, battered real tobacco basket. I'll bet they were popular at a vendor booth!

      Delete
  9. I love how you're displaying your vintage post cards in the tobacco basket! How clever! I hope you get to enjoy your beautiful cottage often this spring. As an aside, I was shopping for wine the other day and saw the Sea Glass wine that you mentioned in a post a while ago. It made me think of you and your lovely cottage. I bought a couple of bottles for my wine rack. I love when wine comes in pretty bottles!

    ReplyDelete